Thursday 26 May 2011

Roma, non basta una vita


So the students were all gearing up for MBAT with their partners and kids and after considering it for a while, we decided a break from IMD would be more fulfilling and headed for Rome instead. 

We booked Easyjet flights- 6:20 in the morning. Only a day before did we realize that the last train to the airport was at 12:10am and the next one at 4:20am- which was cutting it too short. We arrived at the airport around 5:35am. I WAS RUNNING FOR MY LIFE. Easyjet is ALWAYS so crowded. The queues were long and it was taking us forever and then terminal D inside the airport seemed like it would never show up- Yep! They make sure you pay for having opted for a cheaper flight. 
But 2 hours later we were in Rome. Managed to get to the hotel, freshen up and made our way to the city center. 

What can I tell you about Rome that will actually justify its magnificence? Nothing. You just have to go. 
Perhaps it is possible to conquer Rome in a day- but not for history buffs. I had some help from Sharon, Marcella and Marieke that helped me chalk out a plan on what we wanted to do on our short trip there. The Vatican, The Museums, The Colosseum, The Fountains, The ruins- everything about Rome is saturated with centuries of History. As someone rightly said, the city itself is an open-air Museum. 

Yes the queues were long- but they were fast moving. 
Yes people talk rather loudly- but they are so friendly. 
Yes the traffic is crazy and even the buses and local transport are reminiscent of overloaded trains back in the South Asian sub continent. But nothing that a comfortable pair of shoes and a large appetite for history cannot solve once you set out on foot. 

All in all, with my transportation mess up (our hotel was far away from the center and the nearest Metro station no longer existed) and all-you-can-eat Gelato and delicious Italian food, the flights, stay (which was the bulk of it all) and excursions, it cost us around about 900 Euros. 
International Student Cards didn't help in the least. In fact, I should have saved the 40 francs I spent on it because wherever applicable, it also stipulates a standard requirement for (a 26 years) student/ partner age limit. 
The Italian term for greeting someone (hello or goodbye) is 'Ciao' and Thank-you is "Grazia".
And-a when-a you come-a back-a you vill-a vant-a to talk-a like-a that-a for-a while-a! 

Tip: It's better to pick up tickets for the Palatine hills and then enter the Colosseum. Saves you the madness of getting into another long (and this one not so fast moving) line. 
Another tip: Book your flights as early as possible!


So the world didn't come to an end on the 21st and I figured I couldn't squeeze out of it and had to get off my lazy derrière and do something about hubby's upcoming birthday. I was absolutely exhausted from all the labour I underwent to prepare a "nice dinner". I was up at 8 and sat down to rest ONLY at 6:30 in the evening. But I want to thank: 
Sevara & Lois for the cooking tips
Alison for the blender that made possible the Lentil soup
Sharon for the spring-form pan
Christina from Spain- for the mixer
and Fei for the grater.
and this is why you cannot NOT love the Partner community! 

This month has been busy. 
Our lovely Christina (my mixer saviour) has given birth to Nicolas. Can't wait to see them! 
There was also Iyerida's surprise birthday party that Diana organized. And little Sevinch who turned 3 earlier on during the month. Some pictures I'm sharing. 


It's getting hotter. I've been (yawn!) reading, baking and after an amazing "Positive energy" session offered to partners by IMD (which I will talk about in another blog because my blogs tend to get too lengthy then) I have gone back to some activities I had long given up. These days its puzzle solving and cracking brain teasers. Here's one I'll share with you- try not to cheat.

"Mike's birthday is today. He tells me that Tyson, his brother, has a birthday coming up in two days. They are twins. Is this possible? Or is he lying? 
Note: Mike is a twin to Tyson (so don't assume that Mike is much younger than Tyson and that Tyson has another twin brother)"

Until then, Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment