Sunday 30 January 2011

Date Night

(by Maria Godsey)


With a few of the remote partners traveling to Lausanne for a weekend visit (and one on her way here permanently!), it seemed that the theme for yesterday night was 'Date Night'. Luckily, Joseph did not have to travel away for his start-up project.. so for us, it was Date Night as well!


We decided to keep it simple and dined in. We cooked together and talked over a long dinner. This was the first time in a long time that we got to just talk. No pressure of finishing our conversation before Joseph has to speed back to school or to study, no worries about how late it's getting at night or how tired we are…. we were able to just talk. I have to admit, it did feel a bit weird. Normally our conversations are very surface level and rushed, just enough for me to ask - how was school, are you able to come home to put Noah to bed, and what time do you think you'll finish studying. Also, many of my long conversations are with the other partners. They have become my new family. So talking with Joseph for so long felt foreign.


Last night we were able to discuss how each of his classes were going, what he thinks of the teachers, how is group is getting along. I even did one of their group exercises and we discussed it together, debating our individual positions. It helped me get a feeling of what he is going through at school. We also talked about how I'm feeling, our decision to come to IMD, the other partners, how Noah is growing like crazy and even openly about how strange it felt for us to be talking for so long, in so much detail!


I'm so happy we took the time to do this!! Poor Joseph will be busy today catching up on schoolwork, but I treasure the time we got to spend together last night. I hope all the other partners enjoyed their date night as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment