Sunday 23 January 2011

On settling in...


(by Tahira)
----------------------------------------------------
 
The temperature reads 1C but it feels like -10 here in Lausanne. We've had a crazy week busy with cooking classes, fitness classes, dance sessions, talk sessions and so much more. Yesterday, I was over at Leena's place (celebrating her birthday) with Iyerida and Maria and I had such a good time. It felt as though I had known them for all of my life. I discovered so much that was common among us despite differences in our cultures and upbringing. It was ridiculously cold, and that little adventure of being out that late in freezing temperatures, rushing from one apartment to the next, sort of took me back to the carefree and liberated high school life!
 
 
 
Its almost the end of January, and as Maria & I discussed, December 2 is graduation so December doesn't count. Which means we have two months down and only 10 to go. And then there's a month of holiday in between, technically only 9! Time IS flying as I type away.
But so much is running parallel with all the activities that are sprouting up without a moments rest... 
I'm already feeling the depression of having my husband go away for long hours- "studying". I already feel the frustration of having to smell all the masalas in every nook and cranny of my tiny apartment every time I cook; of having not enough variety to cook; of having to clean, get the grocery done, finish the laundry, put up with an intellectually stimulated and rather whiny spouse. Sometimes its back breaking; perhaps because the Monica in me is coming alive; perhaps because I've been so accustomed to the sedentary life I lived in Dubai... but then I also already feel this rather inexplicable affinity with some of the group members...

And although this is just January and I have a long way to go, so many more partners I need to know on a one-on-one basis, but I have already learnt so much:

- that I am not the only one with a single bedroom apartment I need to call home for a year
- that I'm not the only one budgeting every single expense, and hoping to save some for a little adventure, come summer
- that there are those just as professionally accomplished as me, if not more, who are cleaning and cooking at home as their MBA partners slog away at campus. And that its OK to feel happy to do these things in the name of being a supportive partner.
- that I'm not the only one who suffers from the madness of not knowing where to seat guests in my diminutive apartment if I ever happen to invite them!
- that "diminutive" is no longer a term I can associate my apartment with, after having seen some others. 
- that I am not the only one who walks from d'Ouchy to Flon, for the love (& need) of cheaper groceries
- that I'm not the only one who has resorted to home-based manicure, pedicure, threading & waxing.
- that I absolutely LOVE sharing cheap afternoon lunches with fellow-partners
- that I'm not the only one whose next haircut will probably take place once we're back home in the 'financial comfort' and 'safe hands' of our established hairdressers
- that "parents-in-law" across cultures and religions and continents are the same: Difficult!
- that "jajaja" is not a spelling mistake (thanks to my Spanish speaking friends)
- that I'm not the only wife who suffers from the emotional pain of having a husband who doesn't have the decency to call me when he reaches campus or update me on how he's doing when we haven't spoken for a couple of hours
- that the term "I have to study" is really just an excuse the MBA's use to engage in a plethora of useless, mind numbing activities like talking about other batch-mates and discussing professors. And in between somewhere is scattered this obligation to "study". 
- that regardless of it all, I am grateful, I am so very grateful to God for being able to share this crazy adventure with my husband. 

It's amazing what I already share with this group of partners I have known for a little over two weeks; in fact, as i think over it, they have a first hand look into an aspect of my life even the closest of my friends back home may not have. We are all hoping desperately for our partners to make it through successfully and all praying we land fantastic jobs in all health and happiness... So many want to start their family, so many looking to expand.. so many wanting to travel.. so many greedy for some more adventure... 

I know its a good 10 months away, but thinking of graduation already tugs just a wee bit at my heart!

4 comments:

  1. I can TOTALLY relate to what you've learnt so far! Especially the "studying"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly Well written Tahira... Nothing but the Truth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tahira, thanks for this entry, it resonates strongly with what I am feeling, even though I am staying in to work France and flying back for the weeks i.e. week = no wife + comfortable appartment, week-end = some of my wife + less comfort (even though I have to admit our appartment in Ouchy is totally decent and relatively spacious). The cost of groceries in Switzerland is just ridiculous, the two first times I visited Nisha my luggage was full of bio soup cans, wines, coffee... it felt a bit like WW2 food trafficking!

    For the "I need to study part" I absolutely understand what you are talking about :-) hopefully they will learn this year to combine massive workload AND to be 100% efficiency/focus AND decent work/life balance...
    ...no pressure :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tahira, it's extremely reassuring to know that all of us are going through the same feelings irrespective of the diversities amongst us.Very well written.

    ReplyDelete